Monday, March 20, 2017

FADIA TANNIR


“The difference between theatre and puppetry is the way one can express things: When I manipulate a puppet and it is surprised, the eyes would come out of the face – the greatest actor or actress cannot do this! The head of a puppet can turn – a puppet has no limits.”


Fadia Tannir’s first memories of puppetry go back to her childhood in Beirut.
“My parents took us to the theatre. I remember Chouchou [famous Lebanese actor and comedian] and I got to see performances for children and adults – I must have been around 8 or 10 at the time,” the actress and puppeteer recalls.


“I also got to see Sabah and Fairuz. I loved going to the theatre! I can still remember Chouchou’s theatre, the stairs and a big poster of Chouchou. At the Picadilly [a famous venue for cinema, theatre and plays in Hamra] there was a large picture of Fairuz. Going to the theatre or cinema was THE outing (at the time)!”


Tannir (54) would go with her parents, her mother or her siblings. As the youngest in the family, she would stick to her brothers and sisters and tag along, usually to the city centre or Hamra.


Drawn to the world of theatre from a young age, Tannir decided to study dramatic arts at the Lebanese University and subsequently participated in diverse range of workshops and trainings, focusing on commedia dell’arte, Butoh [contemporary Japanese dance] and clowning. She also spent time in France participating in workshops as well as in Krasnodar (Russia) in 1990 where she did an internship in puppetry at a puppet theatre. 


While previously a member of the dance troupe Studio 11, Tannir presently is a member of Kawalees [Theatre of the Oppressed] Compagnie, in Lebanon and works with Asdikaa al Dumaa of which she is a partner.


“It all started in 1986. We were just a group of friends, it was my first year of university and we set up this small group, making puppets at the Russian Cultural Centre (in Beirut). It was for children who would come to the centre.”




“And even at Fox&Frog Kids Club, where we play on weekends, a mom came up to me and asked me: ‘Did you use to do puppetry at the Russian Cultural Centre? I used to go there!’ And now I’m happy that her child, a new generation, enjoys puppetry.”



Tannir firmly believes that the effect puppetry has surpasses that of TV, cinema and theatre. “Take shadow theatre – it’s live in front of you, there is a magic effect, especially when there are colours and beautiful shadow figures. Shadow puppetry spurs the imagination. Puppetry does so too but shadow puppetry takes you further.”


“That said, I love all kinds of puppets,” Tannir concedes. “I love the mix, the different styles. I’m proficient in all styles but there is none that is my specialty.”


“I believe I brought all my know-how and experience gained as an actress and puppeteer to Asdikaa al Duma, which I joined in 2003. Back then they performed in French. We subsequently started working in Arabic and got to meet new audiences.”


Tannir loves working with children and it shows-they usually trail her after performances. “Children are more free than we are, and simpler,” she said. “I like being a child. I don’t feel my 54 years as I am always surrounded by children. I play with them and sometimes people don’t take me serious because I don’t act according to my age,” she adds laughing. “You stay a child when you are with children. There are adults who are too adult. They lack a certain lightness…”


“In our work, we try to add value, to do well. We talk about things that people do wrong and try to bring about behaviour change in the children we meet in order to improve the future. The message is clear – all we do and we have done – it reflects on our future. If you don’t want this future, I ask them: so what do we do? If you don’t like it-then you must do something! Don’t wait on the government-no! You have agency-you can do something.”
                                                                                
Tannir gladly recounts how some parents have told them that their children scold them when they waste water and that in some schools children have stopped littering. “It takes a lot of time to change behaviours…”







Lebanon has a small but vibrant puppetry scene, which is made up of more women than men! This is why we thought that women puppeteers should be celebrated on the occasion of International Women’s Day on 8 March and the up-coming International Puppetry Day on 21 March.
Our sample of 10 women working in the field of puppetry each shared their professional trajectory, gave insight into focus of their work, their passions and views on puppetry in Lebanon.
The women puppeteers provide insight into the medley of traditions and styles that have infused the Lebanese scene, the wide array of contexts and purposes in which puppets are being used, created and performed. Not surprisingly they are a reflection of the magic and versatility of the medium – and Lebanon’s diversity.

Discover Women Puppeteers in Lebanon – A series showcasing several artists
Compiled by Nathalie Rosa Bucher for Les Amis des Marionnettes
March 2017


No comments:

Post a Comment

DINA KOBROSLY

“What’s magical about puppetry? You can make a puppet without anything or with a lot of material and the magical thing is that something ...